|July,29th 1957||College was officially inaugurated.|
|July,29th 1957||Rev.Sr. Stephane assumed office as the First Principal of the College.|
|1967 – 68||The college got affiliated to Madurai University as a natural concommittance.|
|1969 – 70||M.Ed. course was introduced in collaboration with St. Xavier’s Training College. With this new step, the college had been raised to the P.G. Level.|
|1972 – 73||The strength of the college had been increased to hundred. The college assumed the eligibility for UGC grant.|
|1978 – 79||A new technique ‘Micro Teaching’ was introduced to train students in efficient teaching which was popularized by CASE Baroda. We have been the pioneers in this as far as the Colleges of Education in Madurai Kamaraj University are concerned.|
|1979 – 80||The name of the college was changed as St. Ignatius’ College of Education from 1st April 1980 onwards.|
|1982 – 83||Rev.Sr. Lutgarde Broucke retired from service. Rev.Sr. Rose Anne assumed the charge on the Silver Jubilee year of the college. The Jubilee day was observed on 8th March, 1983.|
|1985 – 86||The number of teaching staff increased from five to twelve and the number of non-teaching staff from four to twelve. Special staff for arts and craft, sports and games and library service are remarkable inclusions.|
|1986 – 87||A new library block was constructed. Thanks to the financial assistance rendered by UGC for the expansion. It was inaugurated on 28th July 1986.
After a span of thirteen years, the General Inspection of our college was conducted on the 11th February 1987 by a panel under the Chairmanship of Dr.Mrs. J. Kothai Pillai, Director, Institute of Correspondence Course and Continuing Education, M.K. University.
This year the U.G.C. has recognized the College for the COHSIP which gave us sustained hope to render better services to the society in the coming years.
|1988 – 89||Friday the 2nd September was a gala day for the students teachers as a new hostel was inaugurated. Rt.Rev. Iruthaya Raj D.D.D.C.L., Bishop of Palayamkottai blessed the ceremony.|
|1989 – 90||The installation of computers by Rev. Mother Ramona, Superior General of I.C.M. Congregation on 10th Nov. 1989 is one of the land marks in the history of our college in these years of modernization.
Our college got affiliated to Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli from Aug. 1990.
|1994 – 95||The beautiful complex of “De Meester Residence”, a multipurpose hall was inaugurated.|
|1996 – 97||Our college had entered the 40th year of service. A significant event of the year was the visit of the N.C.T.E. commission. Fully satisfied with the infrastructure and functioning of the College, recognition by NCTE was granted on 26.11.1996.
The university had raised the sanctioned strength of M.Ed. degree to 15.
|1997 – 98||In collaboration with the IARF (International Association for Religious Freedom) which pursues an interfaith strategy for Peace and Freedom, the 9th All India Conference was hosted in our college on 14th and 15th March ’98.|
|1998 – 99||Rev.Sr. Rose Anne, Principal of the College, retired from her service after seventeen years of noble and democratic administrative leadership on 31.05.99.|
|1999–2000||On the eve of a millennium Rev.Sr. M. Mary Josephine Agnes assumed the Principalship on 1.6.99.|
|2001–2002||The computer lab was extended to include twenty more systems of computers.|
|2002–2003||Computer Science Education has been introduced as a new subject for Optional I.|
|2003–2004||A Language lab and a Technology lab were installed, furnished and equipped with the required gadgets.
A noteworthy programme our institution has organized is an International conference on "Learning Centred Education" held from 27th to 30th January, 2005 in collaboration with AIAER.
March 10th and 11th 2004 we significant days in our history. The Assessment process culminated in the NAAC Peer Team visit chaired by Dr.L.C. Singh, Rtd. Prof. of Education, NCERT, New Delhi . The resultant endeavours of the staff and management gained due recognition for the institution in the form of accredited ‘A’ Grade.
|2004–2005||Rev.Sr. Nirmala Sundara Raj assumed charge as Secretary and Mrs.A. Dhasnevis assumed charge as Principal-in-charge.|
|2005–2006||The college extended its academic extension by way of providing well-equipped and resourceful centre for Tamil Nadu Open University B.Ed. Course.|
|2006–2007||The College rendered support to distance education Bharathidasan University through providing study centre. The inauguration of the Golden Jubilee Year as celebrated on 31st August 2006.
NAAC Sponsored National Level Golden Jubilee Conference on “Quality Sustenance in Higher Education Institution” was organised on 29th and 30th November, 2006.
A noteworthy programme of this Golden Jubilee Year was a Inter District Sports Meet held on 10th and 11th January, 2007.
|2007–2008||Our College introduced M.Phil course.
Sr. Amala Raphael ICM look charge as Secretary of the College. Rev. Sr. Nirmala Sundara Raj assumed charge as Principal-in-charge. M.Phil. in Education was started in our College.
AIACHE sponsored one day programme on “Gender Sensitization” programme for a heterogonous group consisting of students, social activists, members from self-help group was organized on 10th Dec. 2007.
|2008–2009||The strength of M.Ed students was increased to 50 after the approval of 25 additional seats.
Various Diploma and Certificate Programmes under the scheme on convergence of Open and Distance Learning (CODL) with IGNOU was organised.
We inaugurated World fellowship of Inter Religious Councils (WFIRC) on 08.11.2008.
The UGC Expert induction Committee visited our College on 21.05.2009 and 22.05.2009 for conferment of fresh Autonomous Status.
National Level Seminars on “Heart of Education is Education of the Heart, through the heart, for the heart” and “Is man a social animal or a social person?” were conducted.
|2009–2010||Autonomous Status was granted and the inauguration of autonomy was held on 22.09.2009.
Additional intake of hundred students for B.Ed course was sanctioned by orders of NCTE from this academic year and approved by Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University.
Our B.Ed. students secured two ranks in the University examination held in May 2009 and five M.Phil students secured University Ranks.
Our college spread its fragrance by receiving championship shield in athletic meet held in Southern Zone on 8th April 2010 conducted by TamilNadu Teachers Education University, Chennai.
One day seminars on “Cloud computing for E-learning”, “Education As Holistic Formation”, “Empower Teacher Preparation”, and “ Instructional Design and E-content Development” were organized.
Two day seminars on “Education and science Exhibition” and “Quality Parameters and Ethos in Pedagogical Aspects in Higher Educational Institutions were also conducted.
A five day seminar on “Intel Tech Programme” was organized for our faculty members.
|2010–2011||Two day seminar on “Towards religious hormony” and “Elevation in learning via low cost teaching equipments” were conducted.
One day state level seminar on “Instructional Design and E-content Development” was held.
Our college conducted a National level conference on “Fostering Global competencies in the present Educational Ambience”
|2011–2012||International Conference on “Teacher Educators” has been jointly organised by Kanniyakumari Academy of Arts and Sciences and St.Ignatius college of Education, Palayamkottai.|
|2012–2013||IThe institution records proudly the visit of ICM sisters from various countries like USA, Congo, and Phillipines. Visits of Rev.Sr.Jemma our Educational Counselor and Rev.Sr.Savaria Jeganathan Superior General of ICM to our Institution, Provided us strength of mind and expansion of intellect.
Organised two day National Conference on “Environment and Conservation of Biodiversity in India”.
|2013-2014||Two day state level Cultural competition among the colleges of Education Affiliated to Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University, Chennai was conducted.|
|2014-2015||We proudly record the following awards received by our faculty members:
Bharat Seva Ratna Gold Medal was awarded to our Secretary Rev.Sr.M.Lily Pushpam by Global Economic Progress and Research Association. Our college Principal i/c Dr.E.C.Punitha received Kavikuil Poovairajan Award- 2014 and she was also selected for the Rashtra Vibhushan Award. Our Physical Director Dr.C.R.Gladys Stella Bai has received an award from the Rotary District Governor (RID 3212) on 23rd May 2014. She also received an award from the Team Trust for the service rendered to the community on 12th March 2015. Dr.A.Faritha Begam Assistant Professor of Education defended her doctoral thesis successfully.Our institution opened up its vistas to collaborate with university programmes. We organized a Tableau on “Dreams towards Reality” on 3rd February 2015. INIGO state level Inter-collegiate Cultural Competition was held on 27.1.2015 for the colleges of Education affiliated to Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University.
|2015–2016||Two day National level Conference on “Teaching and Learning of/with/through English: Across continents” was held in collaboration with TJELLS.|
|2016-2017||Rev.Sr.Dr.A.Nirmala Devi is honoured with 3K- KAKKAN –KAMARAJAR – KARAIYALAR award- a special award towards her contribution in the field of empowering women education|
|2017-2018||• The Ignatian family expresses its utmost joy and jubilation in rolling a red carpet welcome to our vivacious and vibrant personality Rev.Sr.Dr.A.Nirmala Devi , who has assumed charge as the new Principal of our institution .
• Dr. S. Francisca, Research Director and Associate Professor was invited to Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany to present a paper on “Contributions of Christian Missionaries for the Social Transmission in Tirunelveli and Palayamkottai before and after World War I” in the International Conference on Mission and Decolonial Perspectives: The first World War as Catalyst of a Global Process” held from 12 to 14th October, 2017.
• Our Associate Professor of Education, Dr. A.Faritha Begam was awarded ‘Young Researcher Award’ in the International Conference on Wellbeing organized by the Department of education of Manonmanium Sundaranar University, in collaboration with Voice of Teachers, Edureflector and IMRF on 6th and 7th November 2017.
• Our college was the venue for a one day Interactive Workshop conducted by Dr.S.Thangasamy, Vice Chancellor of TamilNadu Teachers Education University, Chennai on “Developing oral fluency in students by Individual- pair –small group method of language teaching”, on 16th September ,2017. Assistant Professors of English, from the affiliated Colleges of Education in three districts, namely, Tirunelveli, Kanyakumari and Thoothukudi were enriched.
|2018-2019|| Visit of the ICM District Team.
26th July 2019 was a remarkable and memorable day for us, since the ICM District Team visited our College and interacted with all the members of the staff. Rev.Sr.Saveria Jeganathan, the Provincial, Rev.Sr.Dr.L.Vasanthi Medona, the Educational Councilor and Rev.Sr.Urmila Devi, member of the team visited our institution. The day enabled us to reflect on our personal contribution to the institution and the challenges we meet.
ICM General Team Visit.
• The ICM Superior General Rev.Sr. Lieve Stragier and ICM General Councilor Rev.Sr. Bonzagain Epeke Adrenne along with Rev.Sr. Saveria Jeganathan ICM, Provincial, Trichy and Rev.Sr. Dr. L. Vasanthi Medona, ICM District Educational councilor, visited our educational institution on 04.12.2019. The achieved milestone and the present challenges of our institution were clearly portrayed by our principal Rev.Sr. Dr. A. Nirmala Devi. The superior General and the General Councilor appreciated our achievements and also shared how to face the challenges and impart values to our prospective teachers. The members of Governing body, PTA and Alumni participated and shared their feedback about the institution.
Extension of Infrastructure.
• Opening ceremony of Mother Marie Louis Multipurpose Hall was held on 07.11.2019. We are indebted and thankful to the Honourable Member of Parliament, Mr. T. K. Rangarajan, for his contribution and financial support for the construction of the Hall. Rev.Sr.A. Magdalene Therese, the Secretary of St.Ignatius College of Education, expressed sincere sentiments of genuine gratitude to all those who worked for, at the end of the programme
Awards and Honours
• Opening ceremony of Mother Marie Louis Multipurpose Hall was held on 07.11.2019. We are indebted and thankful to the Honourable Member of Parliament, Mr. T. K. Rangarajan, for his contribution and financial support for the construction of the Hall. Rev.Sr.A. Magdalene Therese, the Secretary of St.Ignatius College of Education, expressed sincere sentiments of genuine gratitude to all those who worked for, at the end of the programme Our Principal, Rev. Sr. Dr. A. Nirmala Devi, received the GLOBAL ACHIEVERS AWARD FOR EDUCATION EXCELLENCE on 8th July 2018 at Tashkent, Uzbekistan in the “Asia Pacific Achiever’s summit on Globalization of Economic Growth and Social Development” for her outstanding achievements and remarkable role in the field of Education.
•She also received the “All India Achievers and Research Academy, New Delhi’s prestigious award “Indian Achievers Gold Medal - 2018” on 26th August, 2018 in Bengaluru, for her outstanding achievements and service in the field of Education
|2019-2020|| • The Ignatian family expresses its utmost joy and welcome to our vivacious and vibrant personality Dr.M.Maria Saroja , who has assumed charge as the new Principal(i/c) of our institution.
AWARDS AND HONOURS.
• Dr.M.Maria Saroja, Research Director &Associate Professor of Biological Science Received the BHARAT RATNA, DR.ABDUL KALAM GOLD MEDAL AWARD on 23rd November 2019 by the Global Economic Progress and Research Association, GEPRA, New Delhi for the outstanding individual achievement in Education and Research on the occasion of 70th National Unity Conference held at Bangalore
• Received “BEST PROFESSOR AWARD” on 28th September 2019 at Chennai by the ESN RESEARCH GROUP for outstanding excellence and remarkable achievements in the field of teaching, research and publications